[at-l] eBay business

At 04:10 PM 7/25/01 -0400, Ed Williams wrote:
>...clip... My biggest problem with auctions like the one
>with the guidebooks is the reserve price.  If they've set a reserve of
>$150.00 there is no reason to start the bidding at $25.00, just start it at
>$150.00.

It's a matter of marketing psychology.  If you start an auction at the
price you expect to get, bidders will think you expect much more and no one
bids.  If buyers get into the bidding process they're more likely to get
caught up in the competition with other bidders and pay more than if you
just offer the item at a set rate.  Reserve auctions aren't new with Ebay.

sAunTerer