[at-l] Hey... (three years ago today...)

--- Felix <AThiker@smithville.net> wrote:
> I just realized...I won't be able to give you my "3
> years > ago today..." stories this year. Dag. Is Ron

I have one. :-)

Three years ago today, I was in Monson for the final
leg of my thru-hike.

In the space of five months, I lost fifty pounds (was
20-25lbs overweight when I began my hike, 20-25lbs
underwight when I finished!), grew a really long
beard, and learned things about myself I was not aware
of until then. It was by far the most satisfying time
of my life.

Enterning Monson, I had mixed feelings. Part of me was
ready for the hike to end (mainly my stiff knees and
always growling stomach! :O ), but another part of me
wanted to continue past Katahdin and see the mountains
beyond the horizon.

I was also looking forward to Monson because my buddy
Tim was there. Tim was going to hike the Wilderness
with me. Tim and I have known each other since first
grade when we attended that infamous Catholic school I
always talk about. :-)  So we grew up together, and
have been on quite a few backpacking adventures
together (and other adventures...but that is a
different post. Ahem.) Tim has always been in good
shape, and was up to hiking with a scrawny, smelly,
(but in good shape) thru-hiker. :)

When I arrived at Shaw's, Tim's girlfriend at the time
was the first to spot me. Nicole was shocked when she
saw me.  The stocky guy with a buzz cut and who was
clean shaven,  now had a five month beard, a bandanna
on his head, and was noticeably skinnier. I am
somewhat short so the extreme weight loss made me look
really tiny.

The next day (after four eggs, four pieces of bacon,
four pieces of sausage, four pancakes, a large plate
of homefries AND a chocolate doughnut at Shaw's), we
started to hike the wilderness.  Crossing the Big
Wilson that day, Tim and I bumped into RockDancer on
his southbound journey that year on the AT. Small
world.

Yeah, guess I miss those days. Hopefully I will get to
create some new memories in 9mos and one day. (not
that I am couting down or anything....)

Mags

=====