Fwd: [at-l] Re: ATML Sunscreen?

HI Gang,

	My skin Doc told me that:
Melanoma , any way you spell it:-) is an accumulative condition. Each
individual has a different trigger point at which a skin cancer
develops. For example to put it very simply without regard to elevation
or location, maybe my trigger time is, that 5000 hours of sun will cause
a melanoma to form. That means during my life time all the hours I am
exposed to sunlight add up, except the hours that I use sun block. This
is the reason left arms are the most common place for them to form.
While driving your left arm receives exposure more often. Since most of
us grew up before this information was available, we probably have spent
a good deal of our life unprotected. As a child we spent much time at
the beach. Our sun block was a home made mix of baby oil and iodine.
	Since I really do not know how many hours of sunlight exposure will
trigger a skin cancer or actually how many hours I have already been
exposed. I try to be a bit more careful these days. When I am not in the
trees on the AT I try to remember to wear some sort of hat to cover that
shinny spot on my head! One other thing my skin doc suggested is to use
a sun block that contains a UVB/UVB block. She also stated that there is
only one ingredient that does this evectively it is Parsol 1789.
Neutrogena sells a sun block that contains that ingredient.
	Of course there is some controversy over the effectiveness of Parsol
1789 and who knows we may find it causes some other malady LOL. Folks
often ask me "How do you STAND the cold while winter hiking" I reply I
do not stand the cold, I dress for it. Same thing in summer hiking you
need to dress for it and I choose to wear a sun block. I choose to avoid
certain chemical additives in my food too. It may not help but I do not
think it will hurt me to make these choices.

chase