[at-l] The Great Outdoors

No pilitical fusses or musses here...

I spent 5 days near the Smoky Mts in Maggie Valley with my wife. I spent a lot of time at a 5000 + foot overlooks, some time on trails, some walking along the Blue Ridge Parkway, some playing cards with my In-Laws.
I hiked up to Barnett knob a few times & walked miles along the Blue Ridge Parkway looking out at the view & listening to the things you miss when going by in a car (Water triickling off the rocks, streams, 3 Eagles soaring & calling to each other, animals grunting in the woods (or constipated hikers)).
We checked out trails to hike for future trips. We drove into the valley to Cataloochee Park & saw the Elk they transplanted there. Later I found a cool trail (Rough Fork Trail) that I can hike from Balsam Mt, near the Blue Ridge Parkway, 6.5 miles down into the valley the Elk are in.
5 days passed quick & I can't wait to go back... Maybe at the end of July.

I can't wait to go back & hike, but I also can't wait to go back with my motorcycle & cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was near the eastern edge of the SMNP during the 4th of July week, and there were no crowds on the Parkway (they were all in Cherokee & on Newfound Gap road in the middle of the park... What a Zoo).

Take a hike,

Russ

<<Sorry to get back online after 2 weeks away and discover the same political
fusses and musses going on. How about some chatter about the Great Outdoors?
Just returned from two weeks in Colorado, my first trip west, and I'm pumped.
It was wonderful to be able to be outdoors EVERY DAY for 16 days instead of
in the cubical I'm typically chained to these days. Once I get time-shifted
and used to sea level again, I'll post some snippets on hikes out there, if
y'all are interested. Did one short jaunt on the CDT and plenty of Natl
Forest / Natl Park hikes, including a backpacking trip culminating in an
overnighter at 2 miles high.

Also participated in a mini-ruck in Boulder, nice to see Mags again and to
meet Gu Girl for the first time (now expecting a Gu-ette), and to see Skeeter
off on his 5-week hike of the Colorado Trail. I envy the man!

Cheers, Navigator