[at-l] light weight food

Another great ingredient for off-the-shelf meals that just take hot water is
couscous.  You can make up your own meals, or buy pre-packaged stuff.  Some
of the pre-packaged meals come with two packets, one of which you boil with
your water and the other containing couscous - cleanup is still painless.  I
usually fortify the meals with nuts and raisins for texture, variety, and
extra fat (from the nuts, not the raisins).  Some olive oil is good too.

One of the more common brands of the pre-packages stuff is "Fantastic
Foods."

Fantastic Foods also make some very good instant black beans.  You can do
some very nice things with couscous, instant black beans, dried fruit, nuts,
some dried veggies (there's a supermarket brand called "Just Veggies" that
is very convenient), and come chili or curry powder.  If you have a
dehydrator, dried spinach is very good with a curry based flavoring.

Another good trail food is instant Hummus (also from Fantastic Foods).  It's
good with crackers or, even better, pita bread.  Actually, any kind of bread
would be fine.  And it only needs cold water!

Anyway, lots of good things live in the supermarket isles!

Take care.

-- Jim