[at-l] Boy Scouts and Bears

> Boy Scouts on the trail will only get better if _you_ get involved. Most
of
> the leaders in the Scouting program are simply parents who want their kids
> to get the Scouting experience. They are well meaning, but usually don't
> attend any of the advanced training that can make them really great
leaders.
> Instead of complaining about that Scout group you met on the trail, go
sign
> up as a Scouter - a leader of our future leaders both on and off the
trail.
> My Scouts don't carry 25% of their body weight on the trail. They all use
> homemade alcohol stoves, lightweight home made gear and practice real LNT.
> It takes a great leader to make a great Scout. You can be that leader! All
> it takes is an hour a week.

Even though I have no statistics or data to back it up, I disagree with the
statement that "Most of the leaders in the Scouting program are simply
parents who want their kids to get the Scouting experience".  I can't speak
for all Scouts, Troops, Councils, Districts, or leaders but I can speak for
my Troop and for a lot of Troops in our District and Council.  We take our
responsibilities as leaders quite seriously.  Many of us are trained and are
continually training to be better teachers and leaders to the Scouts in our
Troops.  Yes we *are* parents - but we are leaders because we believe we
have a responsibility to raise the children in our Scouting program to treat
each other and the outdoors with respect.  We are leaders because when we
were Scouts, some adult or adults took the time to teach us the same
principles.  In my Troop, many of our adult leaders' sons have already grown
up and left - including our Scoutmaster and a few of our Ass't
Scoutmasters - yet they stay to teach the Scouts how to enjoy the outdoors
and learn to be leaders within our Troop.

The rest of Paddler's post is right on the money.  I too, unfortunately,
have seen some really crummy Scouts.  When I see Scouts trashing a campsite
or cussing or doing things that don't reflect well on what a Scout should be
then I speak to them.  Many times I have to remind myself that not all kids
share my views and that some kids are going to take longer than others to
learn how to be proper Scouts.

There can never be too many good leaders for the Scouts and yes - it only
takes an hour a week!  :-)

Charles

(Assistant Scoutmaster
Troop 87