[at-l] Boy Scouts and Bears

So unrelated though they be, I'm only posting one message today so you get
two topics for the price of one.

Boy Scouts on the trail will only get better if _you_ get involved. Most of
the leaders in the Scouting program are simply parents who want their kids
to get the Scouting experience. They are well meaning, but usually don't
attend any of the advanced training that can make them really great leaders.
Instead of complaining about that Scout group you met on the trail, go sign
up as a Scouter - a leader of our future leaders both on and off the trail.
My Scouts don't carry 25% of their body weight on the trail. They all use
homemade alcohol stoves, lightweight home made gear and practice real LNT.
It takes a great leader to make a great Scout. You can be that leader! All
it takes is an hour a week.

And as for bears, any bear that does not fear man will eventually be dead.
It's just that simple. You can help by not feeding them anything - either
directly or indirectly. They will die if they become too complacent around
humans. It will eventually lead them to do something that we as a society
cannot handle and they will be shot. It's one reason why you don't see bears
in Maine very often, and when you do they are usually running away. We have
a very large and healthy bear population, however they are actively and
aggressively hunted - so they fear man. They beat feet when they smell us or
hear us coming. They fear us, so they do not become nuisance bears.

-Paddler