FW: Re: [at-l] BACKPACK CU INCHES

In a message dated 6/27/2001 5:20:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dkireta@earthlink.net writes:

> Thanks...but I truly wanted to get more detail based on lessons learned
> from long distance hikers.  And then, read between the lines as to how I
> might wish to adjust my current packing requirements (which probably leans
> toward the high end) to offset for the greater endurance that will be
> required
> for the hike.  I'm a pretty flexible guy.

It will depend on how long you want to go between resupply. Note I said
resupply and not mail drops. On my three thru I only used a few mail drops.
Those where all Fontana Dam.

I went an average about a week between resupply. I used a pack with about
6,000 CI.

Between a week or more: 6,000 CI
Less then a week but more then 4 days: 4,000 CI
Less then 4 days: 3,000 CI

This will all depend on they type of food you will be carrying, weigh and
size of you other gear.

Wildbill
GA to ME 1989 thru-hike
GA to ME to GA 1992-3   Yo-Yo hike