FW: Re: [at-l] BACKPACK CU INCHES

Dave, you'll notice Mara signed her post GAME99, so she is one of those long-distance hikers you're seeking. Listen to what she told you.

I thruhiked in 97 with a big pack, 6200+ ci, figuring that I was a big guy who needed to carry a lot. These days I hike with a 3200 ci pack, and am a lot happier. But, then, instead of a bulky Polargard bag, I now have a high-count down bag; instead of a 5 lb tent, I now use a 2-lb bivy, instead of a thermarest long, I now use a 3/4 ultralight and a foam pad. And so on. I couldn't fit all the stuff I started out with in the pack I carry now. But, if I was going to thru again, I'd use the small pack, and strap what didn't fit inside on the outside. What you learn is that you can do without a lot of stuff. A lot of it is psychological, and it takes about a month to convince yourself that you don't need all that stuff that you were convinced you needed when you started. In fact, a lot of that stuff is just a glorified security blanket.

--Rhymin' Worm GAME '97