[at-l] off topic, air conditioning

Several good ideas, thanks hikers! The dehumidifier idea gets into
the problem of draining the liquid. I'm about 3 feet below grade in
the room with the closet.
Two solutions I can think of:

Lift the dehumid unit up about 2 feet, and run a drain tube about 40
feet to an exit point.

Acquire a pan & pump unit to lift the liquid 3 feet to a window, and
out. They go for about $75, another electric device...

So far this is a big help, though, getting me to think outside the box.

This whole thing is reminding me of the summer of 1976. I had an
apartment just outside Wash DC, and went away for 3 weeks to the
Montreal Olympics (to watch). I carefully buttoned up the apartment,
and shut off the a/c in order to save electricity (miser, I guess).
Got back, a fine fur was covering most everything I owned. Especially
thick on cardboard covers for lp records (hey! old folks -  remember
them?), what a mess.

btw, last year I used a clorox/water wash for the entire apartment to
clean up the mildew, it's not shown itself since. Smelled like a pool
in here for awhile. So this is not a continuing problem, just
preventive action.

As Sloe mentioned, I might choose to take the risk and rely on air
circulation, rather than trying to keep the air dry artificially. I
could unpack the closet, spread things around, crack all the windows,
add a fan or two to keep things moving.

I hadn't thought about the air bubble problem, thanks Kahley. --RD '97