[at-l] A message from Terry...

Looks like Terry Norton is on his way towards the Big K. Lucky guy. One hike
of the AT is the adventure of the life time for most of us...he is fortunate
enough to experience it twice!

In any case, for those  not on Terry's e-mail list..here is his message:
*****************

"I thought you got this out of you system last time," she said.
Actually, a love for long distance hiking had just settled in.
In less than a week I will be on Mount Katahdin in central Maine
beginning a second thruhike of the Appalachian Trail.  This time
I will be "unhiking" my trek from 1998.

The month since my last day at work has passed quickly.  In
addition to being unemployed, I am now "homeless" since I sold
my house.  For a short while I was technically without a car as
the family shuffled vehicles.

I anticipate taking about the same 5 and 1/2 months to hike the
2167 miles of the Appalachian Trail.  I should reach the
southern terminus, Springer Mountain, sometime between
Thanksgiving and December 1.  I will be hiking from summer into
fall, with a few dustings of snow expected.

My training for this journey has consisted of about 150 miles of
day hiking with a 35 pound practice pack and a 67 mile trip.
The 67 mile trip was planned for a leisurely 6 days to
reacquaint my body to the continuing rigors of trail life.
Instead of stopping early to make up for a late start, I was on
the trail just after sunrise.  I could not stop early.  I
despise sitting around camp on a rainy day feeling chilly.  No
thruhiker in his insane mind would waste a beautiful afternoon
sitting around camp.  My trip lasted a mere four days.

This Tuesday I begin my journey to Maine.  After visiting a
friend in New Hampshire, a buddy from my 1998 thruhike has
graciously offered to drive me to Baxter State Park in Maine and
see me off.  If the weather allows, I will be climbing Mt
Katahdin Saturday, June 9.

I will not be posting a journal on the internet this time,
although I will be sending out email updates when I can get to a
computer.  If you received this message from me, you are on the
update list.  If you would like to be added or removed, just let
me know by replying to this message.

"Ultralite," my trailname from 1998, has been retired.  Although
I am traveling light (pack weight of 18 pounds without food and
water), I am still carrying about 4 pounds more than last time.
(Although I weigh about 20 pounds less than when I started last
time.)  Competition over pack weights with such a trailname were
unending.  I am looking earnestly for a new moniker.
Suggestions will be accepted from those who have traveled miles
with me.

A second message will follow with instructions for sending
cards, letters, and any goodies to inspire a wayfaring
thruhiker.

************

As I promised Terry, will post more updates as I receive them.

Mags (who, with a bit of luck and a nice savings, will be starting a journey
with Terry next year!)

The true harvest of my life is intangible... a little star-dust caught, a
segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.
--Thoreau

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!