[at-l] Appalachian Trail: The Slow Way

Weary wrote:
>May be true. But it seems to me to be useful to suggest ways others might
>improve their enjoyment of the trail. For instance, I like to examine each
>kind of flower I see and identify it if possible -- or at least take notes
>so when I get to a bookstore or library I can perhaps identify it. I like
>to take photos of bugs, salamanders, strange patterns of moss on rocks and
>trees, gnarled trees, photogenic overlooks... the list is endless.

Weary -
I've gotta say that I like your philosophy - kinda reminds me of the
original definition of "slackpacking".  If you haven't read O.D. Coyote's
"Slackpacking Papers", you should.

Our philosophy is pretty simple - I intended to spend 6 months on the AT - I
did.  We planned the CDT to be a 6 month hike - it was.  The PCT was planned
to be 5 months and 5 days - I was somewhat perturbed because we finished 3
days early. Basically, we plan for maximum "time-on-the-trail" (within our
own time/money/other constraints) - even when we're told by the 'experts'
that it can't be done that way.  It works for us.

Walk softly,
Jim