[at-l] And now, a scenic break....

At 02:53 PM 5/24/01 -0400, W F Thorneloe wrote:
>So you have feelings about this, also? Anyone else want to contribute to
>the group's discussion?

Why not?  I used to be a runner (before my knees seriously objected) and
can say from experience that running is a very different experience from
walking.  Although I didn't run trails I found that I often had heightened
awareness while running (AKA runner's high) that accentuated the experience
of traversing the miles.  Perhaps it was the increased blood flow from the
activity, I don't know.  I also saw more wildlife while running than I ever
have walking or hiking, I suppose because I came up on it before it was
aware I was approaching.  One of the most thrilling experiences I ever had
was the day I was running past an area flooded by beavers.  I apparently
startled a great blue heron which took flight across my path just 3-4 feet
from my nose.  The near wing tip was nearly close enough to touch.  The
image of that gorgeous bird is burned into my brain.  God, I miss running.

Saunterer