[at-l] The Nantahalas

Pittsburgh, thanks for, as ever, good advice. I've heard about their pricing -
but Mr. Gates has not sold out of MS to get into the lucrative Hiker Resupply
business ;) If you still want to buy the place I still will go in for a $1K
silent share (or we could talk).

> Your plans are ambitious.  I guess you have a limited amount of time to do a
> set distance.  The 1 mile roadwalk to RSCG is 1.3 miles.

I was happier thinking it was 1.0!! Sometimes ignorance is bliss - Oh, pity the
poor section hiker!

> it is a narrow
> sepentine road that goes steeply down to the campground.  Fortunately (or
> maybe not) there is not a lot of traffic.  Maybe holiday weekends are
> different.

I almost never get a ride (except in Mass when I look pathetic) - not cute
enough anymore :(

> The resupply at RSCG offers a narrow high-priced selection of
> foods geared to the hiker.  They do not do maildrops, so as to sell their
> 2-packs of pop-tarts, etc.  This is not a slam, by the way, for it is their
> business, and they run it as they see fit.  It is just best that hikers
> understand what they are walking 1.3 miles to get.  IMHO, if you need to
> resupply at this point, it is a more fulfilling experience to hitch-hike
> from Winding Stair Gap to Franklin...

I can walk 1.3 (or 1.0) miles in 35 minutes. I'm not sure I could get a ride
into Franklin in that time. I could get stranded in Franklin for 3 hours. I KNOW
I can walk back to the trail from RBS in max 40 minutes - and I MAY get a ride
(sure, at 7:00 AM).

> ...Good luck and have a great time...
>
> Pittsburgh
> poor of means, rich of dreams

Gary from Fairfax, short of time AND money ;)