used. Here's how I remember them:

streamside camping - just a block from the main street with
Quincey's. In my mind I divide this area into 4 regions.
#1 is from the bridge to Abingdon up to an abandoned barn (wood, dark
color). This area was very lightly used the last few years.
#2 is from the barn to the bathrooms/shower, contains the fire
circle, Blue Blazers hang here. (divided by a dirt path to the
stream, usually a row of porta potties, and the refuse container).
#3 is from the bathrooms past the rep booths to the first hedge.
Mostly streamside camping, easy access to the group meal, music from
the reps.
#4 is from the hedge at the edge of the pavement to the first house
upstream, contains a wet section and seems to be used by groups.

#5 - Island camping - last year it looked like they were making
campsites on the island. Town had rebuilt the rickety
footbridge/stairs to make it safer to cross from poolside. In '97 and
'98 the camping was more primitive and used by those who wanted to be
safely out of the jurisdiction of the town Police (although that
might've been only in their minds.)
#6 - Also last year there was more clearing just downstream of the
island, just below the trestle bridge, only a few camped there.
#7 - the little bit of land around The Place, including the narrow
strip next to the rr tracks across the street.

I know that others have camped just outside town also in various
areas. The linear park as you approach Damascus from the South,
anywhere along the trail past Dot's to the North.

My suspicions, when I heard the news about restricted camping, was
Damascus is trying to do hiker control by this method. Was that
apparent? Were hikers assigned spaces, all neatly arranged and
identified somehow? Any additional services for the camping fee- more
toilets? designated quiet areas? etc... How did the changes affect
the experience of TD's? Thanks for any responses.

RockDancer '97 (now that I know for sure there is a rockdancer 2000)