[at-l] cummulative elavation gain question

Just a theory..to go against the grain (i.e. rather than hiking south to
north) takes a person who is probably a shade more stubborn than even a
traditional thru-hiker.

  Might it be that hiking independently ~ as opposed to
> hiking with a > herd ~ generates a more focused approach to the hike and a
> more job like > mind set ?  Just curious.

Could be.  But, I wonder how solo of an experience a southbound hike really
is anymore. On my thru-hike, I went almost two months without seeing another
thru-hiker (northbound!) , and the only time I saw a herd of hikers was in
Maine when THIRTEEN southbounders were at a shelter. Go figure...

But, I think the hiking solo thing might be a good indication of
perseverance. Be it southbound or northbound.  I will also say, I think
going southbound gives a greater chance of being solo if it is desired..

Mags

The true harvest of my life is intangible... a little star-dust caught, a
segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.
--Thoreau

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!