[at-l] Fear - and an apology (was: communications) - (LONG)

Jim writes:

> > I romanticize thruhiking, nature, the mountains, etc. It is one aspect o=
> > life, it isn't life itself.  Or is it?
> >
> > I want to be able to say, "I walked here all the way from Canada." Even
> > more, I want to go back to our friends and say, "We did it."  Not ego=20=
=E2=80=93
> but
> > pride.
> >
> > We could lose our lives over this.  Is it worth it?  It is only six
> > months. But what a six months.
> >
>=20
>=20

> This is all so much bullshit that I have read continuously over the past
> five or more years.....  Give it up Jim!  jeez....
>=20

Jack, =20

Although the quote you quoted sounds familar, I didn't see it in his last=20
email.  You're confusing me.  It certainly sounds like Jim with his passion=20
for the trails and his experience. =20

Is thru-hiking or long distance hiking a way of life? =20

Sure it is.  I know I'm hooked.  I can't see beyond the next trail that I=20
tramp.  It's not so bad in the real world though.  I live in a mountain town=
,=20
with serious trails within minutes of my door.  I have enough here to keep m=
e=20
occupied, but I'd prefer to spend my time backpacking in the mountains with=20=
a=20
difficult, but reachable goal. =20

Springer to Katahdin, Mexico to Canada........  YMMV

Can you die out there?  Not likely on the AT, but very possible on the=20
western trails.  If you don't know that, you haven't hiked them, atleast=20
during the thru-hiker season.  Either that or you're the fearless hero or an=
=20
airchair thru-hiker.

Is it worth it?  Yeah, I'm not going anywhere better, atleast in this life.

Sly

PS Jim's a friend of mine and I'll listen to his bullshit anytime!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---