[at-l] Re: Gooch Mountain Shelter Special Work Trip

Speaking of cell phones hiking on the AT, does anybody want to do some
work?

Below is a note I got from a GATC member who is a key person involved in
the Blackwell Creek relocation project which includes a new shelter. If
anyone wants to assist please let me know.

Also, a Konnarock crew will be working on this project this spring and
summer. Their first work session is May 24 to June 4. To be a member of
the crew you need to apply through the ATC. However, passersby have often
stopped and worked with the crew. The effort was appreciated. I plan to
drop in and help some the weekend of May 26-27.  Hopeful

> The first official Special Work Trip at the site of the Gooch
> Mountain Shelter
> has been scheduled for Monday, May 14.  We will be clearing the
> site, which
> will involve felling approximately 10 trees.  We have arranged for
> people who
> are certified to use chainsaws in the National Forest to do the
> felling, but
> we also need a few other people to help remove branches from the
> site and to
> remove the bark from some of the larger trunks after they are cut
> into 12'
> lengths.  The logs will be used on the tent pads that will be
> constructed at
> the May 19th work trip.
>
> I realize that this special work trip has been scheduled on a Monday
> and many
> of you will have to work that day, but I hope that several of you
> will be able
> to assist us.  We will provide all tools, primarily chainsaws,
> bowsaws, and
> draw knives, but we need your muscles to drag branches off into the
> woods.
>
> This will be a wonderful opportunity for you to visit this site at a
> time when
> the many flame azalea in the area are in bloom.  You will also be
> some of the
> first people to walk on the part of the new trail constructed by
> students from
> the University of New Hampshire.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.