[at-l] Appalachian Trail : 10 Years Ago

10 years ago tomorrow morning, May 9, 1991 I started the Appalachian
Trail on Springer Mtn. Georgia with the hopes of averaging 36 miles per
day and breaking the existing speed record of 60.5 days at that time. I
started at 6:54a.m. that day.

If you had asked me at that point if I really thought I could do it, I
would have said no way!!!  It seemed impossible that anyone could go from
Georgia to Maine on foot much less do it in less than 60  days.   I am
glad that I started and I feel very fortunate to have finished in 52
days, 9 hours, and 41 minutes.  With God's help ( Phil 4:13 ) we can do
all things.

Since then I have been fortunate to have run across America, set the
speed record on the Long Trail ( 271 miles ), complete the Hardrock 100
Miler, and finish the Barkley 100 Miler with Blake Wood.  Of course Peter
Palmer broke the
A.T. record and Ed Kostak broke the Long Trail record.

What is the point??   I am a very fortunate and blessed man.   I have a
great wife in Nancy ( our 30 year anniversary is May 21 ), I have a job
that I enjoy most of the time, I have some great friends, I have good
health, I have two great kids, I live in a great area to train and direct
races, and God has given the ability and desire to continue to view HIs
great creation, mankind and nature, and continue to pursue ADVENTURES.

Next Tuesday morning, May 15, I will again be standing on Springer Mtn.
but NOT pursing my dream.   I plan on running the next 5 days with Mike
Sandlin and Regis Shivers as they run/walk the A.T. averaging around 33
miles per day.   We will be keeping track of their progress on our
website   http://www.extremeultrarunning.com

I will be jealous of what they will be doing because I know what a great
adventure lies ahead for them.

In the last 10 years what have you done???   If you think back you will
be surprise what you have done.  Don't stop, I don't plan on stopping.

In Christ
David Horton