[at-l] a sobo remembers.....the banker

I had breakfast at the DQ in Pearisburg, VA. When I took my tray and =
went to the table I sat in a room with about 7 or 8 other men my age =
(50+). All locals, all very causally dressed except one guy in a =
three-piece suit. All were smokers, all knew each other and it became =
apparent they had a "roll call" each morning at the DQ.  After I =
finished my eggs I sat with my cup of coffee absorbing local color and =
not an insignificant amount of second-hand smoke. I was struck with an =
overwhelming desire for a cigarette.

Finally I sat aloud, "Anybody want to sell me a cigarette for a =
quarter?"

Nobody responded for perhaps 10 seconds. The suit reached in his pocket =
for his pack and sailed it across 3 tables. The pack landed softly, slid =
across the table and barely bumped my coffee cup as it came to rest. =
While I was thinking that this wasn't the first time he had performed =
this act he said, "I won't take the quarter but you can have a =
cigarette. Take 2."

"I don't bum cigarettes, I buy them. Take the quarter."

"I don't sell cigarettes and I don't want the quarter."

There was a pregnant pause while we studied each other. Finally the =
moment was saved when one of the casual dressers spoke up, "Go ahead and =
take the cigarette. He is a banker. He will give you the cigarette and =
charge you a quarter for the use of his lighter."

Which is exactly what he did!

southwalker99@alltel.net
ME-GA99
In hiking there is no special recognition given for speed style or =
finesse, there
are only those who do the hike and those who don't.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---