[at-l] Re: Re Sharp TM 20s can you touch type on them

In a message dated 4/30/01 1:26:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, daveh@usit.net
writes:

<< So I will respond that you have no standing in trying to assume some sort
of
 moral high ground with your "Oh cripes. Here we go again." >>

    You have to be careful with prematurely labeling something as offensive,
or a "troll" in relation to the AT. To filter all such input is to risk
leaving out something which falls well within the Trail's definitions. I
assume a hesitancy exists partly because of a certain other site's unswerving
focus on on-Trail behavior and conduct and feeling of wanting to stay out of
that scrape.

     Without intending any attacks or undue hostile inferences, I humbly ask
that, when considering Trail use related topics, one go and read Benton
MacKaye's prospectus on AT "Regional Planning". You will see that the Trail's
creator included many such ideas as core to his concept of Trail. In that
regard it is not so out of line or unreasonable to question what is
appropriate in preserving a primitive Trail corridor. If the question has
been hashed to death of late on AT sites, I won't argue, but it never the
less is still germane. I hope we don't consider ourselves beyond that now a
days.

     I personally would tolerate a small keyboard type object if it was being
used on the Trail in a hidden way inside a tent or such. Of itself, it is
probably out of place, but, when used discretely, it is a one-way technology
that does not link the outside world to the Trail, but aids in keeping a
journal.

    BTW: After reading MacKaye's prospectus, you will see that the AT is an
unavoidable conservation "moral high ground" by definition...