[at-l] eco-challenge - mid-Atlantic versions

Reading the comments about the eco-challenge reminded me of a free newspaper
we picked up at an outdoor store last weekend.  It's called Blue Ridge
Outdoors and has articles on various outdoor activities in Virginia, West
Virginia and southern PA.  ALDHA's Leonard Atkins has written for them
(though I gather he didn't appreciate the editing they did on his article.)
In the back there are listings of activities - hikes, caving trips,
environmental lectures, bike rides, ultra-runs, biathalons etc - quite
impressive really.  (The whole newspaper is about 46 pages  of 11x17 paper.)
  Anyhow, the point is (besides pointing people to another resource for
activities in this part of the country) --they had a blurb about "The Beast
of the East" - April 10-16 - a six day 350 mile competition with paddling,
swimming, hiking, biking, climbing and orienteering in Va.  I didn't even
know they did that sort of thing around here.
(www.oarevents.com/beast/index.html)  Doesn't get the publicity of the
eco-challenge, but it sounds a lot like it.

Ginny