[at-l] the big day

Pat said:
>A friend took her eight-year-old
>  daughter to see the Canyon. The child walked to the edge, sighed, and
turned
>  away. When her mother asked what was wrong, she responded, "I dunno. I
just>  thought it would be bigger." ;-)

Another funny response I heard at the Canyon, and again at Crater Lake was a
disappointed, "Gee, it looks just like the postcards."  That's the problem
with an extremely well publicised beauty spot - How do you feel when it is
EXACTLY what you expected?

That's the advantage of being a hiker:  when you go down into the depths (or
up to the heights), there is always so much more.  Like hiking a long trail
- no matter how much you prepare, how many journals you read or hikers you
talk to, reality is always so much more, even if the trail is exactly what
you expected (and it rarely is.)

Ginny