[at-l] Gorp for 7 days?

--- CSpears283@aol.com wrote:
> Hello all.. I sort of hesitate to ask this dumb question, but here goes:
>   How much trail mix is a sufficient day's average on a 7 day trek, in
> TN, in May, without a break?  10 oz per day = 70 oz.= over 4 lbs!!!!!
besides food. Sound average?.... Thanks, olehiker

### Average depends entirely on you -- being your rate of consumption
versus the other things in your menu. For me, Gorp plays a major role in
daily calorie intake (as well as being a nice "reward" for some well-hiked
piece of landscape). I figure 2.5 fingers worth in a regular (6"?) baggie,
per person per day, more or less depending on distance, terrain, weather
and such. This I total into a primary Trip bag, from which each morning I
load a Day bag that goes into the pack's top pocket. (That way, I'm never
tempted by the having the entire trip's gorp in front of me at once.)
*Rarely* (once?) have I over-supplied my gorp.

### Last summer, hiking 2+ weeks with my twin 6year-olds, I made gorp from
3 pounds cashews
3 pounds M&Ms
3 pounds raisons
1 pound  sunflower seeds
.5pound  craisons
------------------------
10.5 pounds, if I have remembered everything correctly. But I think these
might have been 5 pound bags, which would bring everything up to 16 pounds
of gorp total, which is what I kinda remember. Well, however the larger
bags are sized... it all worked out perfectly. Yeah.... there were two
sets of food, for 9 days and for 8 days, and I'm remembering 9 pounds and
seven pounds of gorp.

For the record, Daddy's starting pack weight (and this is why there'll be
no GvP4 in my immediate future) was
50 pounds total with 2x20oz H2O and 9 days' food for 1 adult and 2
6yr-olds
16 pounds base pack weight
34 pounds foodatation total
18 pounds B,L,D
16 pounds gorpagio.

Yessum, I like my gorp.
Color me calorie, fiber, and electrolyte.
But your 4 pounds/seven days/1 adult sounds right for *my* menu....
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10