[at-l] Y2K food finally...(Don't look, Ethel!)

Too late, she already been mooned.

----- Original Message -----
From: "W F Thorneloe" <thornel@attglobal.net>
To: "Texas Twelve-Step" <texas12step@hotmail.com>
Cc: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Y2K food finally comes out of the closet..

> Lots of things sound nasty until you try it or make an effort to learn
> about it.

Yes, mother.

> Finding ways to stretch money can work - even if one is on food stamps.

Did I write otherwise?

> Much of
> this thread appears to be a flame similar to thinly veiled racist diatribes
> of the 70's and 80's involving "Welfare Cadillacs." I know folks who are
> able to be creative with the crumbs left by society. I also know folks who
> waste the riches of society (any day traders around?) Want to guess who I
> find the most appalling?

Funny, I was commenting on how corporate welfare has
corrupted State food assistance programs, encouraged waste
of taxpayer money and discouraged home economy among the
poor. I didn't realize that was similar to a thinly veiled
racist diatribe. I guess it's a good thing I didn't also
express my concern over potential loss of recipient privacy
under food stamp reform. Why, I may have been considered a
regular Archie Bunker then.

> Heck, part of the benefit of food stamps is a means of support for farmers
> to assure stable markets and prices for American produce and meats.

Huzzah! Graft for everyone!

By what right do farmers get to have stable prices and
"markets" at my expense?

> It has
> been a long time since anyone starved to death in this country, with the
> exception of anorexics. I remember folks in Avery County NC with shrunken
> bellies, prominent ribs, and lethargic babies in the early 60's. We all
> have benefit from welfare, in spite of the real fraud that occurs.

No, not *all* of us do, unless you're implying that it's
some form of "revolution insurance." I've never thought
so ill of the poor to buy that argument, though I'll agree
that *real* starvation does lead people to do desperate
things, and understandably so. There's a good quote from
"Of Mice and Men" that I'd insert here, but I don't have
it handy.

I've also never bought the "there, but for the grace of God,
go I" argument, if that was what you meant instead.

-TXIIS