[at-l] A few questions

--- Russ Drake <skcs2003@juno.com> wrote:
> I see that many of you hiked the AT,  My question is
> when you walked the
> 16-20 miles per day
> 1.  How long did it take you (On average)?
> 2.  How many breaks did you take during the day?
> 3.  How long were the breaks?

I am a slow-as-molasses hiker, but it got easier and
easier to walk 15+ miles a day once I was about
halfway through Vermont (I was hiking from Maine).

In Virginia (where I did my biggest miles) I usually
started hiking at about 7 or 7:30 in the morning, and
hiked a steady 2.0 mph pace. I generally took a
mid-morning break of about 20 minutes, then an
hour-long lunch break, and then a mid-afternoon break
of about 20 minutes. Of course, if the break coincided
with a mountain top or other restful spot (which was
pretty often, I'd take longer. :)

I usually got to where I was headed at around 4 or
4:30 p.m., which I liked because I could have some
quiet "rest" time before everyone else got to the
shelter or campsite. On my long (20+ mile) days, it
was more like 6 p.m.

It really just all depends ... some people hike faster
than others, and some people enjoy longer breaks than
others. Everyone has to figure out what works for
them.

Nina
"Waterfall"
ME-GA 2000