[at-l] A few questions

-----Original Message-----
From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Russ Drake

>>I see that many of you hiked the AT,  My question is when you walked the
>>16-20 miles per day
>>1.  How long did it take you (On average)?
>>2.  How many breaks did you take during the day?
>>3.  How long were the breaks?

Phew!  That is a complex answer.  What kind of terrain?  In the Shenandoahs
and S. Pennsylvaia, I could take LOOOOOOOOOOONG lunch breaks, do mileage in
the low 20's, and be done with my day by 4-5PM.

OTOH, my 15 mile day in the Whites from Mizpah Hut to Osgood tent site took
me from 10AM (did a work for stay) until the sun was setting (and this was
in early July when the days are long).

How long your day takes depends on the terrain (flat? rocky and rooty?), the
weather, your style of hiking, and the scenery (my long 15 mile day was also
one of best hiking days ever for the scenic views. Who wants to rush through
that? :D ) I tend to hike a steady 2.5 MPH all day with very short breaks
scattered throughout the day.  Others hike faster than me, but take longer
breaks. Some hike slower, take no breaks to speak of.  We all wind up at the
same place!

Sooooooooooo. to answer your question. It depends.  When you are out on the
trail, you will find a groove that works for you.

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary