[at-l] 6 essentials, using OB's list as my catalyst

>1) Compass with mirror - for signalling as well as assurance of not
>walking around in circles.

The stars, the sun, and horizon suffice for direction; forget the compass. See #4 below on the mirror issue.
Balance: 0

>2) Whistle for signalling.

A couple of fingers, a mouth, and some breath work fine. Ditch the whistle.
Balance: 0

>3) small multitool of fairly soft steel that will take a sharpening
>from a convenient rock.

Jack knife, small. Who needs a phillips head screwdriver and for what in the wilderness??
Balance: 1

>4) large garbage/lawn waste sack for clothing and shelter.

You know, if the space blanket were a wee bit stronger, I'd use it instead of a garbage bag. It's smaller, lighter, and has more functions. Also can use it as a mirror and ditch the 2nd half of #1.
Balance: 2

>5) Firestarter - Bic or Magnesium block - which will also aid with
>signalling at night.

Small bic
Balance: 3

>6) Iodine or other water treatment - also serves as antiseptic.

hmmmm . . . even with my 3rd world experience I'm less and less inclined toward water purification.
Balance: 3

>7) Condom or latex gloves - non-stick wound dressing for burns, water
>bottle and excellent container.

Condom is lighter than gloves.
Balance: 4

>8) Small ball of parachute cord/rope/strong string - numerous uses for
>kit and wound care.

Balance: 5

>9) Small roll of duct tape - wounds, shelter repair, clothing repair,
>and management of all that is incomplete in the universe. Could be
>wrapped about #10 to make the kit waterproof and to assure inventory
>stays in place.

I've never carried duck tape. I've never used duck tape.
Balance: 5

>10) Banadana with safty pins - container for the kit, sling, wound
>dressing, eye covering, and fashion statement.

Bandana's are sorta small; a kaffieh has more uses; and an ajarak more utility still.
I wrote on essay on the sindhi ajarak but haven't posted it yet.

Balance: 6
David Addleton
http://dfaddleton.50megs.com
vocate atque nonvocate deus aderit