[at-l] Was 10 now 13 essentials are:

Okay, I'll chime in. Food shouldn't be in there as one can survive
several weeks without it. First aid kit shouldn't be in there as it is
"cheating" - too many things are part of it and a survival kit. A map
shouldn't be here as you can always find a way to civilization by
following water. Extra clothing is more than 1 item. Headlamp with
batteries is a bad idea as batteries go bad. Sunglasses can be useless
in snow, as UV bounces off snow and burns your corneas.

The idea of the 10 Essentials is an excellent exercise to look at
multiple use equipment and how to put it into a very small package.

My stab at it:

1) Compass with mirror - for signalling as well as assurance of not
walking around in circles.

2) Whistle for signalling.

3) small multitool of fairly soft steel that will take a sharpening
from a convenient rock.

4) large garbage/lawn waste sack for clothing and shelter.

5) Firestarter - Bic or Magnesium block - which will also aid with
signalling at night.

6) Iodine or other water treatment - also serves as antiseptic.

7) Condom or latex gloves - non-stick wound dressing for burns, water
bottle and excellent container.

8) Small ball of parachute cord/rope/strong string - numerous uses for
kit and wound care.

9) Small roll of duct tape - wounds, shelter repair, clothing repair,
and management of all that is incomplete in the universe. Could be
wrapped about #10 to make the kit waterproof and to assure inventory
stays in place.

10) Banadana with safty pins - container for the kit, sling, wound
dressing, eye covering, and fashion statement.

I'd be willing the drop the compass but not the mirror. For the back of
my car I'd want more stuff including a shovel, certain car parts, and
heavier items. For my backpack, I'd have more wound dressing, walking
sticks (adjustable splints), bed mat (splint padding) and much more
duct tape and safety pins.

The most important thing not on the list is BRAIN to know how to
evaluate and use the items that are carried.

OB