still spreading the hysteria..... dang: was Re: [at-l] Re:health care/insurance

Perhaps there is truth in that. Yet, perhaps I do learn. I think the idea
of going less than well prepared into a blizzard condition alone is not a
great idea for me. I think the idea was rather stupid. I think that I have
learned from that experience. I don't quite find myself less of a man from
recoiling from placing myself in a situation that I perceive as
irresponsibly risky and could have led to poor outcomes affecting my
family, friends and patients. Perhaps this type of experience is fun to
others, and the sort of adventure they would seek. I am embarrassed that I
put myself in such a situation. I would have been mortified if I had put
myself in an even worse situation that would have placed rescuers at risk -
although grateful for their best efforts. Frankly, while I am willing to
"seek challenge," I'm not quite so cavalier as to "seek end of life and
limb." I am proud that I was able to deal effectively with the situation,
but not that I put myself into the situation.

Now if you are interested in the frequency of burns in the back country,
I'm not sure that these are reported and categorized specifically. Frankly,
I am not a bean counter. These accidents occur frequently enough to be a
major concern among attendees at the recent Wilderness Medicine Conference
in Tremont and in their journals and other literature. Among the cases
discussed included the scenario  of a tired hiker cooking in tent, looking
forward to a hot drink, and finding herself burnt and without shelter,
clothing or other gear - with severely injured skin to add to her prior woes.

BTW, you might reread the thread regarding comments on synthetic fibers
adhering to skin, not just silnylon. The usual accident scene like this
involves a burn victim sitting among ashes and burnt feathers, and smoking
fabric on their wounds. That might be similar to reviewing the Gatorade
thread when I began my mentioning that there is good reason for moderate
use of electrolyte sports drinks, only that water was the most important
rehydration fluid needed. I really don't know where the comment about
"elite athletes" came from, but I would include you in that admired group
with your hiking, racing and other advocations. Anyway, I declared you the
winner of that little tiff. Gatorade is the most important powder that
money can buy!

OrangeBug