[at-l] March Forth trip report - Day 6

March 9, 2001 Friday

Davenport Gap (Mt. Momma's) to MAx Patch

I slept okay in the hostel. This is a group of 3 or 4 storage shed with
bunks and foam rubber matresses - some covered. They are unheated,
unless severe weather threatens and Mrs. Thigpen may offer a space
heater. She also warns folks that the circuit breakers will blow if the
heaters are run above "low", and had to reset the breaker for me to
have any light. She is very careful to assure I don't know where the
breaker box is (behind the green shed). A large tarp almost stops a
bright mercury light which guards a Model A wood paneled truck.

I am up, ready, re-showered, and keen for breakfast and a shuttle by
7:30AM. The clerk arrives, but she isn't about to let me in to warm up
by the stove until official opening at 8AM. Mrs. Thigpen told me she
would be ready by 8AM, and arrives at 8:30 smoking and watching me eat
my breakfast. The pancakes were hard as the clerk screwed up her timing
for the sausage. They have no OJ, but the coffee and V8 are great.

Although the clerk advised me that Mrs. Thigpen never will mail
packages, she agress to reship my drop box for $20. It contains my
rejects. It would have been cheaper and better use of time to have
bought hiker food from her, rather than doing the mailing.

The clerk is surly about what can't be done and what services aren't
offered. No packs inside. No mailing. No laundry. No dryers. Candy bars
are 69 cents, even if you are trying to lose the last 54 cents of
change before hitting the road and have tipped a few times and helped
carry in drinks and other merchandise. Mrs. Thigpen intervened and gave
me the 15 cent discount.

This is a North Carolina cigaette store and local diner that also sees
several hikers each year. Ther is nor cursing and much religious
material scattered about the shop. There are also many cigarettte ads,
such as the Winston "No Bulls..t" and similar items. I was raised in
NC, and know that the use of tobacco is a civic duty. I also know that
these are the types of personalities we meet on the trail. It appears
Mrs. Thigpen has auditioned for the role of Jesnine Crossman in the
movie version of "Walk in the Woods."

I long for the good Ol' Time Religion that condemned addictive drugs. I
know I'll grow hair first.

Well, by 9:1`5 Mrs. Thigpen drops me off at Waterville School Rd & the
AT, just north of I-40. There is a further crossing, which I aqm sure
she knows. She declines my $1 for the shuttle as "you've paid already".
I feel no guilt about starting here, as the walk to Mt. Momma's was the
same downhill distance as DVP to I40 would have been - plus same
mileage and an easier road access for Mrs. Thigpen.

I begin the climb - the easiest walking all week. Many more photo ops
occur. This is not wilderness. After and hour of I 40 noise, I detect a
new hum - sounding like something out of the X files. There is an FAA
beacon tower on Snowbird Mt.

The miles are easier in spite of the climbs. No post holing. I also
notice no Achilles tendon ache as I've become accustomed to.

I stop and gather trash with some change attackes, fim canister, paper
and a large mouth jiuce bottle. "Come with me my dear, I've got big
plans for you late tonight!" I said to the bottle. "I promise, you will
not be cold!"

After Groundhog Spring Shelter, I find another 30-something hiker,
resting his boots, eating a snack. He saw the trash but not $ and
neither he nor his 2 companions thought of packing trash out. He is
straggling behind his friends who plan to camp at Brown Gap tonight,
and hit Hot Springs on Sunday. He headed on out, and I rearranged my
socks and shoestring plans. A little heel rubbing is present, but no
hot spots. The Right achilles tendon is a bit tight, but aspirin helps
it.

I lose 20-30 minutes at mile 11.4 (a lumber road with new stairs up a
bank). There was no obvious blaze and I simply passed it up until
convinced I had lost the path. I later visisted coporate propaganda of
Hawks' Roost, take a few photos, and motor on toward Max PAtch in hope
of getting there by sunset. I heard, but didn't see, the campers in
Brown Gap.

The sun is setting as I hit the final 3 miles. Twilight gets going, but
still is bright as I find water north of MAx PAthc Road. The colors are
great as I get to the base of th Patch and watch the moon rise. The
wind also picks up.

Within 30 minutes, my tent is up, food cooked and I'm in my bag and
dry! The wind is fierce and cold. The cold clear high pressure
promising a good sky. I don't plan to see the stars tonight. I've goa
about 2 liters water to keep from freezing, a warm tent out of the
wind, and a wide mouth bottle! Stay right by me here, sweetheart!

Heh, heh, heh.