[at-l] BBQ details

At 06:19 PM 3/14/01 -0500, Gary Ticknor wrote:
>Here we go again.
>
>Barbeque is pork cooked over dry heat (preferably in a pit of coals) until the
>meat falls off the bone. If you start with dry pork you end up with dry
>barbeque. So don't.

Well, I'm not sure it has to be falling off the bone.  Reason I mention is
that there's this Texas Roadhouse chain that's very popular -- I hit the
one in Valdosta, GA a while back -- and it seems clear that they are
pressure-cooking their baby-back ribs to hurry up the falling-off-the-bone
effect.  That place is "OK", but just not authentic in my book.

Depends on the cut of pork yer using.  But the basic principles are
something like this.  The end result should have a tangy to peppery taste,
depending on preference.  Vinegar is fine.  Never sweet/sugary.  Look at
most of the "barbeque sauces" in the grocery and what is their primary
ingredient?  Corn syrup!  Disgusting!

I prefer cooking over lower heat for a longer time rather than the
opposite.  Esp with ribs, a certain amount of  burned outside adds to the
flavor, so long as it's moist inside.  Can be tricky if you're new at it --
too much heat, too long, and it's dried out inside and almost inedible, so
need to keep in tune or find a restaurant that is.

I've done various overnight marinades and dry rubs, including an excellent
outcome using dry Jamaican jerk seasonings.  Never, or seldom, have I ever
tried slathering on sauce while the meat's on the grill.  Guess I did for
hot wings once, but never for pork.  I think some of this method must come
from the makers of those corn-syrup based products, trying to get you to
use more, resulting in meat with a crust of charred corn-syrup.  Not my
style...

The Wizard!  A gleam in his eye, a bounce in his step!