[at-l] favorite mountains

--- DaRedhead@aol.com wrote:
> (and hey Toey? Did the Mt Mitchell Challenge go that way?  I don't
> remember a stretch with this description from you - then again, you were
> running so fast you might not have noticed ;-))
>
> The Redhead

1) No, the Challenge didn't hit either the peak msthiker
mentioned(Catskill? No.) or the Black Mtn Ridge Trail. My loss on *that*
one. Maybe they'll make it a 50 miler next year..... Hmmmmm.

2) Running too fast to notice? I could write a book on this, I think, and
perhaps not come to a conclusion: many conflicting thoughts. On the one
hand, you're so keyed, so intense in what you're doing, details are burned
into memory rather deeply. On the other hand, you have *practice* tunnel
vision, or you might find yourself running off of the mountain.

I can tell you this: of the three ultramarathons I've done, I saw less of
the surrounding scenery in the grandest - Mt. Mitchell - than in the
others. But the reason was not my speed, but the treadway. One ultra (50m)
was mostly single track trail with occasional rocks; the other ultra (50k)
was (ARGH!!!) 8-10 inches of sneaux; in those I could afford to look
around, and did. In contrast, Mt. Mitchell was largely VERY rocky trail,
with some asphalt (20%) and limited dirt trail (20%?); I needed to watch
where I put my feet with each footfall.

Sorry for the technical answer. Those of you now in [sleep mode] should
set a wake timer for 5 seconds, hit <delete>, and carry on with your day.

Best,
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10