[at-l] Water filter/purifier/chems/whatever

on 2/18/01 10:40 AM, Rich Bowyer at halflifelost6@hotmail.com wrote:

> Question,
> As I ponder exactly what avenue to take, and I am leaning filter, can you
> tell me what will make water taste palatable?  I am a real picky drinker.  I
> can not stand bad tasting water, including many city and well water systems.
> Will the filter be adequate or do I need to go to a purifier?
>
> TYIA,
> Rich

While answering Rich's question, could someone please address the issue of
what exactly is and is not removed by a filter like a Pur, MSR Miniworks,
etc. when the filter is _not_ impregnated with iodine. Is it just
bacteria-sized particles that are taken out, or is there some sort of
chemical treatment of the water also?

BTW, as far as taste goes, I don't notice Polar Pure at all, but then I'm
not that fussy. My advice would be to try Polar Pure at home, since it's
inexpensive, and if the taste bugs you, then think about a filter. The
downside of filters is the weight and the time it takes at the water source
to actually pump the water.

-- Hal/Pokey