[at-l] Gear List for 2001 Thru

First, the first aid book. If you are witnessing an accident, I anticipate
that reading a how-to manual will not be among your top priorities. The
time to read the book is long before going to the woods, possibly a week
before your planned first aid course. It matters little how much or how
little first aid gear you carry if you have no idea how to use it.

Second, how do you reduce the weight of it. One, I like to reduce packaging
whenever possible, and use Ziplocks as a great way to keep inventory of the
kit. Let's use your example. Much of first aid is weightless. Triage is a
major component of first aid. In your case, you did some triage by learning
that she was awake and alive, able to move and feel her body, and not in
pain. You took a bit of a chance in removing her pack before having much
idea if there was a back injury. You might have left her in her pack, but
simply removed items and reduced weight, allowing the pack to continue to
support her spine. If there were a back injury, the drill is to leave her
there, get her warm and hydrated, and get help for evacuation on a back
board. I bet there was no back board in your first aid kit. ;-)

After you got her up, you further triaged to assure she could transport on
her own power, and helped get her there. Otherwise, it was going to be a
situation of getting her sheltered, hydrated, warm and comfortable while
help arrived. Again, these were items in her backpack, not in her first aid
kit.

So, in spite of it being a few years since your last first aid course, you
did pretty well. I want you to carry the gear that you are comfortable with
and understand. Trade in the book and put a small notepad and pencil.

Most first aid gear are items to either stabilize a disaster before
evacuation, or to manage minor illness and trauma. It really doesn't take a
lot of gear or weight.

OrangeBug