[at-l] room at the inn? etc.

MARTY46ER@aol.com wrote:
<snip>

> the hostel in neel's gap - are reservations a good idea?   how is the gap for
> resupply?

The hostel has been closed for a couple of years, and I have read that it still
is.  Walasi-Yi (the store at Neels Gap) is under new management.  The old web
site was gone last I checked.  The former management held packages for hikers.
If the new folks do the same, I would advise resupply there via mail drop.  Food
selection when I was last there was a cross between a general store and an
outfitter - outstanding for the size, but the space is very limited.  (It was a
good outfitter shop, though - hope it still is.)

> how easy is it to get to Hiawassie from dick's creek gap or winding stair gap
> for a resupply?   are the motels still operational?  will they shuttle?

Dicks Creek Gap is 10 or 12 miles, too far to walk.  The road is a fairly well
traveled two lane highway.  Hitching was easy 10 years ago when I last tried it,
but I have no recent attempts to report.  There is a hostel near the gap, the
Blueberry Patch.  Winding Stair Gap is farther from Hiawassie.

<more snip>

Enjoy.

Merlin