[at-l] Safety

There was recently an attack and murder of a female runner on one of our
local running trails (at 2:30 in the afternoon no less, when people feel
pretty safe).  Last night the local running club held a safety seminar,
talking about ways to decrease the likelihood of being attacked.  The single
most effective was to not run alone.  Running with a dog was good, with
another person was even better.  However, we all know there are just times
when you can't get someone else, or choose to go alone anyway.

They suggested the usual - look confident, carry a cell phone (but not to
rely on it due to coverage areas), or a shrieker alarm, or pepper spray
(with appropriate training), don't wear necklaces,  etc etc.... but that the
best thing was to increase your AWARENESS.  Practice remembering license
plates, practice remembering details on the people around you etc, until
it's second nature, then keep doing it.

Aside from self-defense training, the police officers also highly
recommended a book, called "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker.  I've
included a link to the site for your convenience.  The guest book on the
site has some more favorable comments as well.

http://www.gdbinc.com/pubs.htm

If you go to http://www.addall.com, you can put in the title and you ship to
state, and it will search many online bookstores and find you the cheapest
price including shipping.

Go hike safely,
Sandpiper

        "Adventure is worthwhile"