Challenger...... Re: [at-l] Space shuttle Atlantis

I had a similar memory of the Challenger explosion. I was in the
hospital rounding on a delirious elderly lady, with her hands
restrained to prevent her pulling out IV's and further injuring
herself. She was crying as I entered her room, "It keeps blowing up!"

Her TV set was on for the lift off and a good intentioned entertainment
for her. The news kept showing the liftoff and explosion over and over
and over. With her hands restrained, she had no way to turn off the TV,
to call for assistance or to do anything but watch the tragedy repeat.

You have no idea how upset I was, while trying to get her under control
and reassured. My own worst memory involved the national news showing
the teacher's small daughter crying the night before that she didn't
want her mommy go into space.

Memories.

Bill...