[at-l] geology terminology?

Any geologists out there on the list?

I'm looking for the precise geologic term for a phenomenon we've all
encountered on the Trail--particularly in the southern Appalachians and in
Virginia.

Often the trail, when it leads along the side of a mountain, will reach an
inside crook in the hillside where there is an extensive field of mossy
rocks and boulders stretching across the path. Sometimes these are tricky
to cross. Often no watercourse is apparent. Is such a rocky stretch
properly called a "rock field," a "rock slide," a "rockfall," a "talus
field," "Pennsylvania," or something else? (I have semantic problems with
all of the above.) I've tried looking on glossaries posted on geololgy
websites, but no luck.

I keep waiting for someone to come through with the Trail name, "Talus Cowboy."

Thanks,

Robert