[at-l] REI

This is the store I worked at for about a year, starting in Nov 1998.
It was a great experience to work in the hiking dept. The staff there
never told us what to sell, just how to meet & greet customers and
then tell them what we think. I probably talked more customers out of
gear than into gear. Certainly tried to talk sense to them if they
weren't sure what they wanted. Got a few "atta boys" from staff once
customers mentioned my name to the boss.

But I just dropped in before Christmas (after a year's absence) and
was disappointed. All the gear is still there, I think, but it was
disorganized and the staffing level was low. (Possibly a holiday
effect, and I hope so). My theory is that REI walks a pretty fine
line in being able to make a profit. The pay (in 1998) was less than
$7 per hour, in Boston you can make more at McD's (want fries with
that?) So it's tough for them to hire knowledgeable folks who are
willing to work at that wage. The store is in a bind because it has
goals that are set by Seattle headquarters that they have to meet
quarterly. For the Reading store they have to move huge amounts of
merchandise to meet that goal, and sometimes don't make it. Any
overtime for staff, pay increases for staff, benefits, etc all cut
into the ability to make that goal.

Also the decisions on what to stock are made in Seattle, according to
programmatic reasoning. The store has to look like an REI store so
there are compulsory items they must carry (I would guess 98% fo the
store is determined in Seattle). The only variation that I heard of
is based on seasons and the store's location. So we, at Reading,
would receive about 100 pair of crampons in November, while Cary NC
might only receive 10. I too was disappointed and I ended up getting
my presents through REI online.

REI as a whole, continues to make a small profit. It returns, on
average, about 10% to customer/members. Since it is a coop, and I
support co-operative stores on a moral basis, I'll continue to shop
there. I just hope they can hang on, perhaps do better than they are
currently.

RockDancer

--
Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH