[at-l] Re: Strange gear

> I SWEAR that guy was on Springer in 1979. Or his brother.

I met a guy in '79 at the Springer (4/21/79) shelter who was carrying at
least 70 lbs. I think his name was Rick, and he was blaming his Jewish mom
for the excess. His gear wasn't army surplus. However, I do remember a guy
from that year named Mack MacArthur (I think), who did have some surplus
gear. Did you meet him? He was a real character. He claimed to have hiked
the trail 4 times, and even had some groupies tagging along. He turned out
to be somewhat less than he claimed.

vic