[at-l] Re: Strange gear

> And of course, we all have the funny, "When I started
> backpacking" stories.

My first "backpacking" trip I was 15 (now 43) and I carried a  rucksack I
bought in Europe when I lived there the year before. I carried no canteen,
but I had a Sierra cup and envisioned myself squatting by a babbling brook
dipping the cup and swigging with gusto.

Of course, the entire section between Hazen's Notch and Jay Camp on the Long
Trail was dry in mid July, and by the time I got to Rt 242, I was spitting
dirt. I thumbed down the hill and called my Mom.

wic