[at-l] Mouse ingenuity

W F Thorneloe <thornel@attglobal.net> wrote:

> I noticed this past weekend that Blood Mt Shelter has dozens of these
> hangers, all appearing brand new. Last Labor Day, I found none at the next
> 3 shelters north, although Low Gap Shelter had brand new bear cables
> installed. I wonder if the new hangers are "trail magic" and the ATC and
> GATC are discouraging these hangers as policy to reduce food in shelters
> and hence reduce risk of mice and hantavirus.

I doubt that the hangers contribute to the mice population. The fact that
hikers cook and eat in the shelters, and hikers are sloppy when they do
this, provides plenty of food for the mice.

Mice are even in the shelters where food is hung outside on the fancy bear
wires, or the not so fancy poles.

Hikers leave food in their pockets, in their packs, and drop scraps on the
ground and through the floor cracks that can feed mice for days...

-p

--
Paddler
AT Class of 1999 GA>ME