[at-l] Not with a bang [was: Stop Nominee Gale Norton's...]

I don't think this was aimed at you, individually.

I can think of many times that I've reacted on the list with anger and
aggression over topics that punched my buttons as effectively as the
current environmental politics has pushed yours and others. We all know in
polite company, one doesn't discuss politics and religion, or tell certain
jokes. I regret that Coosa felt others and myself insulted her religion
last year, when trying to tone down certain zealotry. We laugh about the
three forbidden words, but they are excellent examples of how easy it is to
fragment a diverse group with a shared interest.

Occasionally, this list is used as a soapbox for a political cause.
Sometimes this is appreciated. Sometimes it only appears to troll and
inflame. Sometimes even efforts to quell the flames only serves to swell them.

The important thing is that we have a shared love for the outdoors,
particularly the AT.  We are free thinking individuals with many interests
and beliefs. We can share GORP even if we can't share these opinions.

Plus, I knew the Unabomber. I met the Unabomber. And you, sir, are no
Unabomber. <lying through my teeth about examining the Ted K.>

OrangeBug

<BTW, I had the same thoughts about the Sierra Clubs mass mail. Did anyone
else see Greenpeace's infomercial on TNN last weekend? At least it used
less paper.>