[at-l] Trail newbie (long)

Ginny,

I always look forward to your email.=20
Your thoughts on our fears really hits close to home.

When do we develop these fears, and why?
I was always a fearless kid. I never worried about things that go bump
in the night, falling off my bike, getting lost or hurt.
In Boy Scouts we frequently had weekend camping trips to the Catskills.
We went to a place called "North Lake" & a few of us would just go hike the=20
Escarpment trail, and many of the local trails, putting in a good 15 - 20=20
miles
without giving it a 2nd thought. This, without the aid of trail maps, compas=
s=20
or
water. Just with a few knives & a couple packs of matches.
Now I would bring about 10 pounds of "stuff" in a day pack to make me feel=20
secure (maps, water, lighter, 1st aid kit, etc., etc.).

My life is now built around "stuff" I need to keep my fears at bay
So when did I start fearing things? I don't remember any single event, or a=20
series=20
of events that led to my current fears. I just woke up one day (as an adult)=
,=20
and
there they were.=20

Looking back. I should have made a perfect backpacker.
I was (am) a loner, never fit in in groups, I loved walking, hiking,=20
backpacking,=20
biking, and just being in the outdoors in general.=20

Now I am a person with more fears than Carter has pills. I have an excuse fo=
r=20
everything.=20
I always have a pain, an injury or something to stop me from doing things=20
(that never
used to stop me).  With few exceptions, I never do the things I REALLY want=20
to do.
I used to go weekend backpacking 1-2 times a year, now I never do.

I used to do things on the spur of the moment  (Oh yeah, I got married, can'=
t=20
do=20
that any more), like road trips in my car,on my Motorcycle, weekend=20
backpacking (just throw sh-- in the pack & go).

The few exceptions are :
I biked through Virginia in the 80's (about 350 up & down miles).
Weekend backpacking trips in the late 80's early 90's.
I ran a marathon in 1990.
I biked across Iowa (570 miles) in 1992.
Other than that, not much. A little trail maintenance (1999-2000), that's it=
.

Now I sit & ponder my fears...
Why do I suddenly not like noises in the night (I used to camp under a tarp)=
.
For some reason I am paranoid when it comes to mice, skunks, bears, etc.=20
(what's up with that?).
Why am I afraid to do things alone? I have this pack mentality, I need other=
s=20
with me to do things (this never used to be true).
Why am I afraid to face my fears, when I want to so badly?

I have this great need to accomplish things in my life (so far I have only a=
=20
few=20
things I am proud of, the rest of my life I classify as a waste of time).

I think I am afraid to fail, afraid to succeed, afraid to try...=20

I need to get up the courage to face all my fears, or live a life regretting=
=20
the=20
fact that I never faced them. (this is where I currently am)

You stated :

Those fears you have that are based on your abilities and willpower are=20
real, a lot of people do go home, but you are the one who determines whether=
=20
they are enough to stop you.=A0 (I have a phobia of falling - it affects me=20
whenever I cross narrow or steep places where falling is a possibility. In=20
other words, often.=A0 But I can't let it stop me from doing what I really=20
want to do.) If you don't let them stop you, you may discover other=20
strengths you didn't know you had. I know that when I realized that I could=20
finish the AT after all on that first long hike, I felt like I had found my=20
wings,.

As to those fears that are based on "things that go bump in the night&
quot; -=20
those are less likely to be real.=A0=20
<<

I have fears in both areas, both in the trail world & in the real world.=20
My goal in life, is to face my fears. They have been running my life for=20
years.
So far... I am not doing so good...

Maybe with all your help, I can turn things around & feel good about myself.
Damn... I sound like a Dear Abby letter... I will stop here...

Ginny, thanks for all your help & advice in your email & in person.
I really appreciate it.

Russ

On 1/22/01 at 4:13 AM, Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>=20