[at-l] Gore-Tex ???

----- Original Message -----
From: <Trail39@aol.com>
To: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 2:47 PM
Subject: [at-l] on topic

> OK to get back on topic.  I don't believe gortex and all it's imitators
work.
>  What do you think?

All of my outerwear, jacket, pants, gloves, hat and boots are Gore-Tex. My
bivy is Gore-Tex, my bag is dryloft. I have yet to be disappointed in the
performance of any of it, however I do realize that if it is pouring and I
am hiking and sweating than of course I am going to be a bit damp inside,
this is not a failure of the Gore-Tex, rather my shortcoming for sweating so
much. When I am stationary wearing the same gear or am in my bivy in the
same weather I have yet to get wet.
So my question is, why does it work for some of us and not others? I would
like to think it stems from who made it, but my stuff is a collection of
what ever was on sale, e.g., LL bean, TNF, EMS, Moonstone, etc.
I am not trying to start a Gore-Tex vs. whatever thread here, I am just
curious.
Also I might add that I do take very good care of this stuff, cleaning it
with NIKWAX products, following the directions on the labels and NIK
bottles.
Thanks in advance for any info anyone might have regarding this question.

Doug