[Fwd: Re: [at-l] Mail Drops]

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:11:06 -0500
From: Paula <paulers@ix.netcom.com>
To: Glenda D Hubbard <glenhubb@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [at-l] Mail Drops

Glenda D Hubbard wrote:

> My thruhike will begin sometime in March (17th or later) and I haven't
> the faintest idea how to set up mail drops.  Where does one begin to
> figure out how many and where?  I have no idea when I will be somewhere
> or when I will go into a town.  I'm lost as you can tell with this whole
> concept.  HELP!
>
> Sparrow

yea, i remember it all seemed daunting.   Its a little easier to just
think of them as re-supply w/o a store.

To get some idea of the when / where bit, I used my maps and the
databook.  I sat down one afternoon at the table - cleared everything
off so I had room.  Had all the maps & books on the chair.  Spread out
the first map and had a piece of paper next to me.  Looked at the map,
the profile, info in the databook and on the map to see where the
campsites & water were located.  Then just started going day by day
thinking, "well, I think I can walk x miles that day looking at the
terrain and water".  Its just an estimate - don't worry about being just
right or anything.  Its just to get an idea of how long it takes to get
from one place to another.  That will tell you how many days of food you
will need between each place.

To decide if you need a maildrop there or not, I used the companion to
see what type of stores were available.  In the beginning, I planned on
using mostly maildrops with some supplemental shopping in some
locations.  Mainly cuz I was dehydrating most of my dinner meals and
bought lots of breakfast / lunch stuff in bulk ahead of time so it was
cheaper.  So, part of the question is if you are doing the same.  If so,
then you will need more maildrops of at least partial stuff than those
who will buy as they go.   If a town doesn't have much in the way of
large grocery stores - I decided to use a drop there.  A lot depends on
what type of food you are planning to eat.  As someone mentioned earlier
to someone else, go to a variety of store types; convenience, mom & pop,
small grocery & large supermarket  and see what they have.  Pretend to
be re-supplying, even put it all in a basket and carry it around.  This
will give you an idea of where you can get what you yourself would call
a 'decent' set of meals.  you'll see real quick where you want maildrops
and where you feel you don't.

Also, try not to send your drops to post offices.  I got off the trail
in VA and from Springer to Pearisburg - I used the PO as a drop location
only once.  Its much easier to pick it up from a business or the hotel
you are staying in.

Oddly enough, I think more women used maildrops than men.  I think we
were a bit pickier about nutrition and what we ate.  I saw guys eating
plain white rice w/ a slim jim cut up inside.  No seasoning or
anything.  That would make me yak - i couldn't do it.   I also did more
drops cuz I decided for nutrition I didn't want to live on liptons &
stove top.  If you can, you'll have an easier go with buying in the
small stores.

I hope this helps you,  see you on the trail!

Paula
cheerio