[at-l] hiking situation changed?

I've been thinking about this all night, even while watching Groundhog
Day on TBS.

Billie, I can get with your hesitancy to take your father's money. It
sounds like you are on a roller coaster from no hike due to money and
real world problems, to maybe hike due to money and real world
interventions.

I don't know much about you, but I suspect your father knows a bit (or
thinks he does). I also know that money is a bit of a dirty subject for
most of us Americans. In therapy, I refer to money as "American sex."
You will find more people willing to pubicly discuss genital
calesthenics than their salaries or savings. Money is never without
strings attached.

I'd guess your father has heard your hopes to hike and your
disappointment over the decision to postpone. He has offered you
financing to make it happen. Now you have to do some very hard work to
figure out 1)does he have an agenda; 2)do you have an agenda; 3)why do
you want to walk; 4)do questions 1 & 2 interfere with 3. I think that
is what Kahley is trying to help illustrate for you.

Now there are several ways to deal with these questions (and the 20
others that you have). You could worry about it and speculate. If you
do this, no matter what decision you make, you will wonder about the
options deferred. You could thank your father and ask why he is making
the offer now, of all times. You could thank your father, but let him
know you need to do this without his help. You could call Mrs. Cleo and
find out what the Tarot cards tell her about it.

Please feel free to ignore this free advice, but I encourage you to sit
down with your father and discuss the trip, the finances, your goals,
and your relationship with him. Then shut up and listen to him before
making any decisions. I suspect you will find that there are lots of
Katahdins, not just on the AT.

Bill.....