[at-l] Re: Tea and Crumpets and Sunburn

> From: Pat Villeneuve <pvillen@imap1.asu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] shaved
> To: RC Brooks <rcbrooks@acadia.net>
> CC: at-l@backcountry.net, Trail39@aol.com
>
> RC Brooks wrote:
>
> > Last August (7th, I think) at the Rt-94 trailhead
> near Vernon NJ, I met
> > "The Brits" later called "Tea" and "Crumpets" a
> British couple from
> > Oxford, England, who both (male and female) had
> recently shaved heads.
>
> Ah, this was good to hear. I hiked with them north
> of the Springs. They
> were strong and determined hikers, but they had
> giant packs. I think
> they were already shaved--or at least cropped--at
> that point.

Yeah, they first shaved their heads in Hot Springs,
NC.  I saw then around 11:00 one day, and then about 2
hours later saw them again with their newly shorn
do's.  I almost introduced myself to them again having
not recognized them.

So, Down in One changed his name to Tea, huh?  didn't
know that.  I guess Tea and Crumpets sounds better
than The Brits or Down in One and Crumpet

> A lot of people started with shaved heads.  As was
> already pointed out,
> sunburn can be an issue.  A bandana can easily take
> care of your scalp but
> even with very short hair or longer hair pulled
> back, the worst part of the
> sunburn was on our ears.  It seemed no matter how
> much sunscreen we used,
> our ears would get sunburned and raw from peeling.
> It made for some
> uncomfortable nights sleeping.
>
> You get used to it by the time the leaves start
> filling out the trees
> though.

heh heh.  When I left for Springer, my aunt asked me
if I needed any sunscreen. "No, I've got a wide brim
hat, I'll be ok."  heh heh.  In 4 days, my neck was
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sunburned, I literally thought I'd
walked through a stickerbush neck first.  And of
course, it was right where the zipper of my sleeping
bag rubbed it.  Oh man, that was painful for about a
week.  It was also at this point that Fix-It got his
sunburn on the neck as well.  He was a New York
Italian guy.  (Fix-It, you on the list?)  Said he was
the Italian Redneck.  "Fuhgedyaboutit  <pause>
y'all."  Had us seriously in stiches laughing on Rocky
Mountain that night with the Naked Willies.  (anyone
else run into them?)

=====
--
Schuyler Stultz