[at-l] Photo contest . . .

At 02:31 AM 1/6/01 -0500, tom wrote:
>James Bullard wrote:>
> > At 12:39 PM 1/5/01 -0500, tom wrote:
> > >I'd think twice about it. By entering, you give them shared copyright:
> >
> > Not! Entry of a photo into a contest gives the proprietor of the contest
> > rights to display or publish in relation to the contest and its outcome
> > (i.e. here are the winning photos).
>
>Did you read the rules? By entering a contest you agree implicitly to
>the rules of that contest. In this case, GORP will do anything with your
>submission they please.

Did you read the original post and my response? The original post was
suggesting *we* (the AT-L) have our own photo contest. I offered to be the
judge and post winning photos on my web site. I said that I would not
expect any rights beyond posting the winning pictures for a limited time so
other listers could see them.

>If you're arguing they don't have that right in spite of what they say
>in the rules, would you be willing to follow up and track them, and then
>take them to court for what you consider copyright violation?

I'm not. Again if you read my post you would have seen that I recommended
always reading contest rules for the very reason you are stating above. I'm
well aware that some photo contests take advantage of unsuspecting entrants
who are too foolish to read the rules. BTW - Kodak is one of the biggest
offenders.

> > Looking at this from another perspective, how many of the AT-L listers are
> > pros who are concerned about the copyright of their hiking photos anyway?
>
>I am.
>
>Anyway, you don't need to be a pro (whatever that is) to be concerned
>about the reproduction of your images.

The original suggestion was for a fun photo contest among e-friends. You
know... Fun.
Look again at what was suggested.
>How about some strictly
>objective categories, like oldest photo, goriest case of toe rot, most
>disfunctional boots, etc. I guess those of us without a scanner or real
>computer would be left out unless we could send slides or prints to
>someone willing to post them....I'd contribute some interesting titles
>from my library as a partial prize.
>
>Alejandro
Lighten up already. No one was suggesting that you submit your top quality
pro work that you are hawking to magazines, calendars or whatever. Yes, I
am concerned about copyright on my best work but hey, we all take snapshots
when we're out in the woods and not all my work is "SERIOUS".

Saunterer